Friday, July 31, 2009

Do you want some ice cream?


I've always had a really strong emotional connection to ice cream. As one of my traditional trigger foods, I had to stop keeping it in the house or I would just obsess about it until I would eat it. Mint chocolate chip is my absolute favorite.

When I first saw these chunky stones at a recent bead show my first thought went to mint chocolate chip ice cream. My second thought was that I don't normally care for chunky stones. My third thought had something to do with the room was abnormally hot and wow did I wish I had brought a handkerchief.

I ended up buying them and stuck them in the back of an organizer not really sure what I would do with them.

Sifting through the Handmade Artists Forum yesterday I noticed they were organizing the first of many challenges (I do love a good challenge) called Summer Memories. My mind began noodling and those chunky stones caught my eye again. I happened to have some nice black and silver color aluminum jump rings from a previous project so just did a simple double jump ring thing as the chain.

Here is my summer memory:
One of my favorite summer memories was taking a car ride into town with the whole family and getting an ice cream cone. There were a few different places we would go but my favorite was a small local dairy that had the most delicious sugar cones and ice cream flavors.

For awhile I was hooked on bubblegum ice cream because it actually had pieces of gum in it but eventually I settled on my all-time favorite, mint chocolate chip. I've had such an obsession with this flavor that I had to put it on my list of trigger foods that aren't allowed in the house.

My first husband even dubbed me 'she-who-ate-all-the-mint-chocolate-chip-ice-cream' at one point.


Once the Handmade Artists Forum challenge is up I'll make another post. Until then, feel free to peruse the listing on Etsy.

What are your favorite summer memories and do you have any of your creations that tell that story?

No comments: