Thursday, June 18, 2009

Packaging prototype!

It's been a few weeks now but I saw an article about a craft show booth that really caught my attention (and I should have bookmarked). They were a paper goods company and they had clothespinned their smaller items to wire strung from tree branches. It just looked amazing so of course I began to think about how would I display my jewelry for the inevitable craft show? And because I like to make life difficult for myself, I began to think of ways that I could adapt the display for my own purposes.

I like to store finished pieces in resealable plastic baggies because they keep air and dirt out but on their own they are plain-looking. I started thinking about small envelopes that had an open window so that the envelope could be clipped to something but still show what was inside.

On twitter one night, one of the vintage shops linked their 1920s era seed packets and immediately I connected the small envelopes I needed with that idea. I did some research and there are companies that will actually do custom seed packets, very fancy ones, complete with seeds. However, like all customized big volume printing projects, a bit beyond my price range for now.

I found a DIY wedding blog at stylemepretty.com that offered some tips on making custom seed packets complete with a pdf template to get started. I fiddled around with the template in photoshop and came up with a prototype:

seedpackprototype

So next step is to work on the design more, find some sweet paper, find some volunteers to help cut out the templates....ya know, another project!

No comments: